Tuesday, October 24, 2006


Red Leaves, Roxbury, Connecticut, 10/23/06

Autumn in New England

...is such a cliche that I'm almost tempted to stop taking pictures in the fall. But not really. In fact spring and fall are my favorite times to do landscape pictures of the heavily forested east coast, working with large and ultra-large cameras for monochrome. In winter the forests are barren. That lets the shapes of the land, the hills and valleys, reveal themselves, but the sense of forested territory is lost. In summer you can't really see anything but dense masses of dark green leaves. Many of the galleries on my web site are pictures made for platinum printing, shot in the spring and fall here in New England and along the Appalachian ridge from West Virginia down to Georgia. I don't often find a color photograph I want to make at this season. But this is something I saw yesterday while doing errands.

2 comments:

Ernest Theisen said...

Beautiful. It has a strong 3D look on my monitor. Thanks.

Scott Kirkpatrick said...

When I lived in southern New England, I also flew small planes over the Taconics, Catskills, and the ridges of northern New Jersey. Ths sculptural quality of that land seen from a few thousand feet, and the changes it goes through in springtime, are breathtaking.

scott