Friday, May 25, 2007

Medina, New York

Medina Shop Windows, 5/23/07

I was walking around Medina, NY, taking pictures, when an SUV with police markings pulled to the curb. One of the two officers inside asked me to approach the vehicle. He said they'd had a report that I was taking pictures. I said yes, that's what I'm doing. Taking pictures.

He asked if I had any ID. I showed him one. He asked, why are you taking pictures? I said it's what I do. I'm a photographer. Both cops burst out laughing.

People are a little crazy, the talkative cop offered. I said, you should see what happens when I get out the camera that's two feet wide. They waved and drove off to find other evildoers.

I went on taking pictures.

Medina, New York

Medina, New York

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl: I had an almost similar experience last year on a road trip that I did from Maine to Florida passing through Alabama. In Alabama’s Houston County, in a small town nearby Cottonwood, while shooting with a handheld 4x5 Polaroid back, I was inquired by three different persons of what I was doing there. Then another person came by who identify himself as a property owner of one of the old buildings. Immediately I knew I was not welcomed since they all wonder why I wanted to photographs their town. Especially when they knew I was a foreigner.Alejandro