Friday, March 05, 2010

Blog Notes

Woodbury, Connecticut

No real Working Picture today, just a working snapshot of what's been taking up all my time the past day or so. My Epson 4800 died a long, slow, expensive death over the past month. Tuesday my new HP Z3200 arrived and I've been buried in the setup (complex but wonderfully well documented in the manuals) and initial testing. Print quality immediately looks like a big step forward from its four year old predecessor. The larger, 24-inch size and ability to switch seamlessly between glossy and matte ink/media will be great improvements to work and capabilities. More on this later, and I'll try to get outside to make some new pictures too.

5 comments:

Dennis Allshouse said...

I saw your comment on Ctein's article at TheOnlinePhotogragher. I think it would be of great benefit if you could detail your progress. Certainly for those of us who follow your blog.

Carl Weese said...

Dennis, things are going extremely well, though oddly I just ran into my first unexplained glitch.

Made a lot of tests and some large prints yesterday and this morning (with results so good they are surprising the hell out of me), then went out for errands. Came back, changed paper rolls, and when I tried to print there was no communication with the printer. The utility and diagnostics couldn't connect, a computer restart and rehook of the USB cable all didn't work, so I turned the printer off (it's an always-on printer that should never be turned off in normal use: starting uses much more ink than the routine maintenance it performs while on.) When it came up, communication was back. Sent the job (a test strip print) from PS and it printed immediately. The test is beautiful.

So I have to study up what might be causing a communication failure.

Mike Mundy said...

Yes. I saw the same article.

What's interesting is that George Barr, here, is having similar issues.

Personally, I'm not having these issues. But then I use a five year old PC and and an equally old HP dye-based printer.

And, I vow to never use "ColorMunki," if that's really what it's called.

Carl Weese said...

Mike, my iMac is 2.5 months old and of course runs Snow Leopard. I had exactly the color management problems with the Epson 4800 and SL that Ctein describes. I could print B&W from the Epson driver with it, but to use color management from PSCS3 I had to drag my iMac G5 back downstairs and hook it up to the printer.

The 4800's print head death spiral was a completely different problem.

Dennis Allshouse said...

If it's not too much trouble, could you outline your reasoning in moving from Epson to HP? I was going to ask if you do your own profiling, but then I realized the HP is self-profiling so to speak