Saturday, August 06, 2011

The Leaking Boot

Wallingford, Vermont

"Erected to the Memory of Arnold Hill By His Children April 3rd 1898."

The main purpose of our quick overnight trip to Vermont wasn't for my picture-making, but rather for Tina to gather material for more barn, farm, and garden paintings. There is far less farmland here in Connecticut than there was just twenty, or even ten, years ago. The same thing is happening, just a bit more delayed, farther north in the New England states. Vermont is still very rural with lots of active farming, but it's changing there too:

New Haven, Vermont

I managed to snap a few shots too. Including a 7x17 of The Randoll drive-in theater.

2 comments:

James Weekes said...

Carl, it is sad that even VT is being subdivided. I moved there from Long Island in 1972 to get away from that. Now, of course, I live in Florida where the developer is king and also a dirty word.

On your next trip up there you might go up 22A all the way to Vergennes. As I remember there are numerous barns still working and lovely valley views for Tina. I lived in Bridport for 11 years and if you go out Middle Road, the only one to the left off 22A, you will go by 3 or 4 good farms and my old house!

To catch you up on my 4/3rds epic, I think I'll take your advice and start with the GF2 and 2 lenses and move on from there. I haven't found a camera ever that I couldn't get used to even though I have big, and clumsy, hands.

Jim Weekes

Carl Weese said...

Jim, thanks for the hints on VT locations. I'll check out the maps.

If they become available again, my recommendation would lean to the G3 over the GF2, especially if you don't like to compose on the LCD. But a bird in the hand...