Sunday, October 28, 2012

Blog Notes

Days Inn Lobby, Farmville, Virginia

With the dire storm warnings looming, I began the day in Farmville, where I forced the GPS to plot a course that would take me to the western, I-81, route back home rather than deal with the storm preparation situation on the eastern, I-95, route. After about ten hours on the road, I'm back in Woodbury.

On I-81, Western Virginia

I wasn't the only one. All afternoon I kept easing past whole convoys of workcrew trucks. Three three-truck (two buckets, one pickup) crews from Alabama, and a dozen North Carolina tagged bucket trucks. Even a convoy of flat-bed tow trucks. What are they for? Prospecting for business hauling cars that have trees fall on them? What directly storm-related use is there for a dozen South Carolina tow trucks to head north? Just wondering.

The rush to get to the last theaters on the list frustrated my plan to look and shoot off-topic work in this area I've never visited before, spending several days backing off slowly from the rush of this densely packed multi-purpose expedition. But the walkabouts I got to do in Albemarle, NC—I've barely had time to glance at the material and grab a few shots for posting—make it certain I'll return to this area for general work without the drive-in project looming and dominating the agenda. But first we have to get through the storm. It seems certain that the power will go out, so posting here will be dependent on that.

3 comments:

typingtalker said...

And here is what you missed ...

SNOWFALL...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 FEET ARE EXPECTED IN THE
MOUNTAINS OF WEST VIRGINIA...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER TOTALS TONIGHT
THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL OF 1 TO 2 FEET IS EXPECTED IN
THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA TO THE KENTUCKY BORDER...
WITH 12 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE IN THE MOUNTAINS NEAR THE
NORTH CAROLINA/TENNESSEE BORDER.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/282038.shtml

Markus said...

Carl, I keep my thumbs crossed that you can weather off this storm as well as possible!

Dennis said...

I took the same route from Atlanta Monday night and the main haul on Tuesday: Greenville, SC to northeastern Maryland! I didn't see any snow. It fell further West. Did see the power company and tree company crews heading North also.