Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Spring Color, Steep Rock Preserve, I

Washington, Connecticut

I've been working a lot at Steep Rock Preserve this month, looking for pictures to make the third installment of my "Four Seasons at Steep Rock" (working title, may change) set of platinum/palladium print folios of 12 prints each. But Sunday morning in a light rain the intense greens of the new foliage begged for color pictures as well. I kept switching the camera I was using from the custom mode I've set up for shooting pictures intended for monochrome and set in 2:3 aspect ratio, to my usual 4:3 proportion color capture modes. Copy shots of the first two folios can be seen at the Online Galleries page of my website.


2 comments:

Your Name Here said...

" I kept switching the camera I was using from the custom mode I've set up for shooting pictures intended for monochrome and set in 2:3 aspect ratio, to my usual 4:3 proportion color capture modes."

Carl,
Why not just shoot everything in raw mode at maximum setting (for the camera you are using)—then make all your adjustments later, in the 'virtual darkroom'?

Too much fiddling in the moment and the wild beast of creativity runs away.

Carl Weese said...

I do shoot everything in raw, but the series intended for Pt/Pd printing is in 2:3 proportion so that's what I want to see in the EVF. Also, setting the EVF to show monochrome in that mode serves as a reminder (NOT a tool for "visualization") of what I'm looking for in each situation. Meanwhile, switching the custom mode takes perhaps a quarter of a second and setting the viewfinder to reflect my intended medium fosters creativity rather than chasing it away.